May 11, 2012

3 Weeks to make up to you

May 12 - First Blog in 3 Weeks!

April drifted into May and suddenly 3 weeks has passed since my last Blog. I can't believe I've been so slack, but when I look back at the last 3 weeks I just might have an acceptable excuse!
It's dark in the morning when we leave for work, and dark when we return..when we get up we gotta have our porridge, feed chickens (news coming up on that one), feed doggies, make coffee for our thermos cups for car and then drive 1 hour 20 to work, then work.....and if this isn't hard enough, we gotta  do it all in reverse, drive home, feed chickens, feed dogs again, make dinner, get fire going and then try and relax, so we watch some telly and do some more chores, then before you know it..Jo Nesbo's new thriller is calling my name.. so my wee Blog was sadly abandoned... But then , just today I had  a breakthrough, my Blog idol, Laura, at Our Wee farm www.myweefarm hasn't put up any excuses for 'not' doing her Blog, so I've decided to get committed (not literary) and keep my Life on the Lifestyle track alive and kicking.

Well, firstly I must tell ya, work was crazy busy over the Easter Holidays, over 2 weeks, 63,000 visitors came to the Zoo, it was manic and it was awesome...the very best School Holidays ever, we themed the holiday programme 'The Truffula Trail" based on the Lorax Movie. The weather was exceptional which really helped.

News Flash

'The Magnificent 7' . About 6 days ago, our good friend Paula at work informed me there was the cutest little Brown Shaver in the Zoo Car Park, looks like it's been dumped (why do people do that?)... so, yes you've guessed it, I only went to look and when I saw this tame little thing I really couldn't leave her.


   Friends, meet Jessie

Paula is a bit of a bird nut and gathered Jessie up with ease, popped her into a box for us, gave her some much needed food and water and at the end of our shift, home she came to join 'the others'. We names her Jessie after Paulas wee girl jessica. At first she pooped pure liquid and was really wobbly on her feet. she could perch and slept in the nest boxes for the first 4 days. We slowly introduced her to the pack, fed her well, and trained her to sit on the perch... now she is a happy, quite dominant I must say, but cute chook. We think she may have been a battery or cage hen. Here she is with the others


                      That's her at the back.

You see, I have this crazy idea that I can create, design and build things, but for the majority of times I try to create something I end up loosing my silly Scottish temper and chuck it all in and give up. I know... short fuse M'graw, that's me...
But, last weekend I beat my demons and created this..... it's an 'A frame feeder station', but I knew you guessed that right!

The frame


Finished product.
Painted with a home made feeder inside




Veg garden Bulletin

Ok, so, winter veg is the coolest in town right? you better believe it is.
Our wee gardens are producing the meanest  Broccoli, Silverbeet, Beetroot, Cabbage and Cauliflower. We are eating the Silverbeet now and the yummy Beetroot is being pickled or roasted..The Rocket is still going nuts.
For novices, and first time Mums at growing the 'wee things' we are very proud of ourselves. Here's some pics of the wee ones all grown up...


Beautiful Beetroot


The Coolest Cabbage


Rocket to the Moon


Blooming Big Broccoli


Luscious Red Lettuce



Stunning Silverbeet


Not bad eh? I recommend anyone who has got room for a wee vege patch, to get growing...it's rewarding in so many ways from simply saving money to reaping the rewards of growing your own organic vege garden. It's just so awesome popping out for the evening veg for dinner.

And to end our return to the Blog world....I give you her Majesty Finn, watching on as the Magnificent 7 parade past....



Finally.....Winter is coming and we all know it... We have had the most beautiful Autumn, rewarding us with rich sunshine throughout the days and gifting our land with evening showers... and us, we are blessed with the opportunity to warm our hearts in the house that has become a sanctuary, a haven...a Home.


Nice to be back with you..... I'll see you real soon.


Thought for the day: 'Some people walk in the rain...other just get wet'.

No comments:

Post a Comment